Well we made some serious progress this week! I would like to say that I officially ran my first 10km and yes, I did almost die… With my Times Colonist 10km run coming up soon on April 26th I really wanted to make sure that I was working on my longer distances and start focusing on my pace and timing. I have to say that for this being my first 10 km run in over a year and half, I am very proud that I was able to finish it in just over an hour. On this run I decided to track my distance and time on both my Apple watch using the basic fitness tracker that comes already installed on it, and also track my distance and time using my phone and the NIKE RunClub app. On my watch, it said that after completing my run I had only ran 9.64 km and a pace of 6’42”km.

However, on my phone using the NIKE app it said I ran 10.76 km with a pace of 5’59”km so I have no idea what exactly my pace is. I do feel as though the NIKE app was tracking more precisely because everytime I hit a new kilometer I was also pacing a km marker on the trail I was running.

One of the benefits from starting this running journey is that it has allowed for me to discover and explore new trails and running areas on the island. My favourite places to run currently are Elk/Beaver Lake and the Galloping Goose, for the most part I have been running on the goose because it is located right behind my house and is very convenient for me. I do love running Elk/Beaver though because the trail is a perfect 10 km and the lake is so beautiful. I decided for this week’s blog I would look up some of the other areas around Victoria and the island to see where others enjoy running. Some places that others suggested were Cedarhill golf course, Dallas road, Mystic Vale (right here on campus), and the Cowichan Valley Trail, which starts at the top of the Malahat by the Kinsol Trestle in Shawnigan. For myself, I think that it would be very beneficial if I went and ran on Dallas road as this area is part of the TC 10km running route. I would also love to explore the Cowichan Valley trails, from what I read online the trails hold amazing views and look out points.