In this week’s Edtech class, not only did we learn about a cool storytelling program that could be used in the classroom but we were also able to use a video conferencing software called Zoom to digital have class. Unfortunately because of the COVID-19 virus the university has closed down for the remainder of the term, but this has not stopped our tech class from coming together to make sure our class can still happen. Zoom was super easy to download and set up on my computer and walked you through joining a meeting and setting up your video and audio. I thought Zoom was a great way for us to make the most out of the situation we were given and I could see the tool being useful in a classroom. For the most part I do believe that Zoom would be used in a high grade level class if, like today in my class, you had a group presentation but for some circumstances could not make it to class. Your group could display you via Zoom. I do also believe that Zoom could be incorporated into an elementary school classroom, if for example your class had a project where they were writing to their pen pals. Zoom could offer the students a chance to meet their pen pal through video conferencing. All in all, I thought that Zoom was a very cool tool and super user friendly. 

Photo by Reuben Juarez on Unsplash

The other tool we learned to use today was called Twine, this is an online program that allows for you to design a fun interactive online story. The program allows for you to use simple coding to map out a story and then share your story with others. I think that Twine could be a fun program to use with students anywhere from grades 5-12. Twine could allow for students to create their own stories for a language arts class or design a story that allows for them to share research from different historical events or eras. Some of the cons to using Twine would be that it would require all students to have some form of technology to be working on at one time. For many students they may not have access to technology and not all schools have a set of ipads or laptops that are not always readily available to teachers. After doing some research I have also found out that help with using the site is not always available, this could become an issue if students are looking for advice and the teacher themselves does not have an answer. All in all, Twine is a fun interactive story board that allows for students to use their imaginations and design something that they are proud to share with their peers.