I am glad to report that this week went way better than last week! I was able to go on three runs this week and two of them were finally over 5km. On both Wednesday and Sunday I was able to run Elk and Beaver lake, which is a run I absolutely love! On both those days I was able to run 7km, which means I am slowly but surely getting closer to my goal of 10km! Also something very exciting that I decided to do so sign up for the annual TC 10km run in April. I believe that this run will really motivate me to continue running as now I have a bigger goal I am working to. This also means that I will really need to stay focused on pace, advancing my km and keep running at least three times a week. 

Photo by Tyler Nix on Unsplash

This week, I decided to do some research on ways I can develop my endurance and pace while running, in order to get me to my goal of 10 km within an hour. From my research, I have learned that I should be incorporating some HIIT Training into my weekly routine along with my runs as this will help to increase my cardio and which will help my stamina while running. Many people also recommend adding in some strength training along with running in order to build muscle mass in my legs. Strength training is something I thoroughly enjoy but unfortunately during the school year I find it hard to find the time for it with work and homework. While I do think that trying to incorporate both running and HIIT training along with three runs a week would be difficult right now, I do think I could benefit from incorporating at least one HIIT training session into my week! I also think that maybe adding in some HIIT hill sprints or stair sprints could also benefit my endurance. The main tip I saw in my research was consistency, making sure that you are being consistent and diligent to your training… not the get quick fast method I was looking for. Well I guess here’s to another week of being consistent and giving it everything I got! 

Linked are a few HIIT workouts I found that are good for runners: 

• https://www.womensrunning.com/training/hiit-workouts-runner-fitness/