This week in our Tech class, we did presentations on technology tools that can be used in the classroom. Unfortunately, this week I came down with the flu and was not able to attend class. This did not stop me from doing a bit of research on a technology tool, I can totally see myself using it in the classroom in the future, and that tool is Flipgrid. Flipgrid is a video discussion platform that allows educators and students to record short videos that relate to topics and lessons being taught in the classroom. I first heard about Flipgrid on social media through other teacher profiles I follow myself. The main teacher profile I heard about the program through was The Merrill’s Education, a husband and wife teaching duo who prompt the integration of technology in the classroom. Here is a link to their twitter if you would like to learn more: https://twitter.com/themerrillsedu. They use Flipgrid all the time with their students in a classroom with students as young as grade one. I felt inspired to learn more about the program, so I did some more research. 

I found out that many teachers love integrating Flipgrid into their classroom as a way to allow students to have discussions with each other, to self-reflect as well as showcase their work. This was a huge benefit for teachers as it allows them to see all of the discussions that their students were having and be able to review them more then once. For many teachers it is hard to listen to everything that all your students have to say when you are walking around a classroom, but this allowed for that to be possible. I also believe that this is a cool way for parents to stay connected to what their children are working on in the classroom and allows them to view their child’s own work. While I do believe that students should be having face to face conversations with their peers, I also know how much they love to see themselves on the screen and re-watch the videos that they have created. I myself would love to implement this type of technology into my own classroom one day as I believe it could be a great way to have students plan group projects, discuss a book we may be working on in class, or even just create a fun video to share with their classmates in their spare time. Although there are a few cons to using the program as well. For instance, the program is not entirely free, and for many teachers this type of program may not fit their yearly budget. Some students may not feel fully comfortable filming themselves for their classmates to see or their parents may not feel comfortable with their children using the program. And lastly, access to technology may be difficult for some teachers, if their schools do not have enough tablets or devices for all students in a classroom. Overall I believe that Flipgrid is a great program, that can allow teachers to come up with fun, interactive classroom activities to engage their students. I look forward to learning more about the program in my further research. 

I have also linked a recently published book by Joe and Kristin Merrsill called “The Interactive Class”. The book includes many fun activities educators can use in their classrooms for specific tech programs, Flipgrid being just one. 

Â