Over the last two weeks, I have started my journey learning the guitar and I have already started to wonder if I might have bit off more than I can chew. The first song I am learning is “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People and so far it is going pretty well. I have started to learn the chords for the song which includes Em, G, D, A and learning the finger positioning for each chord. Learning the chords has been pretty easy and I have now started working on changing from one chord to the next. This has been more difficult as I find myself mixing up which chord comes next. During my first few weeks learning the guitar, I discovered how difficult learning a strumming pattern could be. Prior to this class I didn’t even know that there was such a thing as a strumming pattern. I am already worrying about how I will be able to put both the chords and strumming pattern together at the same time.

I feel as though I may have made my musicianship goal plan a little unachievable for someone who has not played the guitar since grade 7, but I will be trying my best to

Photo by Te NGuyen on Unsplash

achieve the goals I have set. I have also realized that I need to be more serious about planning out my practice time and making sure I am craving out at least 2-3 hours every week. In order for me to stick to my plan, I am going to need to be very diligent with practicing the guitar. I am happy with the progress I have made so far and look forward to continuing my learning journey.