Photo by Zac Ong on Unsplash

Well I guess this means I’ve finally committed. UGH. Here goes nothing!

I love fitness and have a real passion for working out and my own personal health, but running was never been that appealing. My usual forms of physical activities consist of hiking, weight training, and the occasional …. very occasional cardio. Every time I do manage to get myself out on a run I enjoy myself, it’s like an escape from everything going on in my mind at the time and allows for me to take time for myself. Yet I can never seem to stay consistent with it, and believe me I’ve tried. This all ends today! Today, I am finally committing to making a plan and setting a goal. My goal is run 10 km in hopefully an hour. Now I know that this will not happen over night and that I will need to start small and work my way up, but I’m finally ready to give it a try.

Photo by Hannes Egler on Unsplash

This whole goal started while I was developing an inquiry project for my tech class. This inquiry could be on anything of our choosing, which can be kind of challenging when your given so much freedom on an assignment. As I decided on what I wanted to do, I thought about how I could incorporate physical health into my project. Running seemed like a perfect option; not only would I be completing a project for school but I would also be getting in physical activity for the term. While I was focusing on the physical side of the project, I realized how allowing time for the physical health could actually improve my mental health as well. Mental health is so important as a student and so many of us get to focused on our school work that we forget to take time to focus on ourselves and our physical and mental health.

I am hoping that this project will allow for me to increase my physical health and accomplish a goal I have allows wanted to complete, but also allow for me to take time and research the benefits that running can have on my own mental well-being.